BEEF AND CHICKEN FAJITAS
· 1 clove garlic
· 1½ tsp salt
· 1½ tsp ground cumin
· 1 tsp chili powder
· ½ tsp crushed red pepper
· 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
· 1½ lbs flank or New York strip steak, or chicken breast
· 3 Tbsp olive oil
· 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
· ½ cup green onion, sliced
· 1 cup green bell pepper, sliced
· 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
· 8 medium corn tortillas
1. For marinade: Combine garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, crushed red pepper, oil, and lemon juice in a medium-size bowl.
2. Score skin of beef or chicken with cross-hatched, diamond-shaped marks and rub meat with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Preheat grill to 180°C (medium heat).
4. Place onion, green onion, and green and red peppers in aluminum foil and add olive oil.
5. Seal foil and place on grill for 7 minutes, then remove and set aside.
6. Grill beef or chicken for 5 to 8 minutes, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 100°C, or beef temperature reaches 120°C.
7. Remove from heat, wrap in foil, and let rest for 5 minutes.
8. When ready to serve, slice beef or chicken into strips and transfer to bowl with the juices.
9. Serve with warm corn tortillas, grilled onion mixture, avocado, hot sauce, salsa, sour cream and/or freshly chopped tomatoes.